Sports

Sunday, August 28, 2011

AUTOGRAPHS MAKE A DIFFERENCE


My three favorite baseball players are Robinson Cano, Mariano Rivera and Mike Cameron. Cano and Rivera are my favorites because they are players I have grown up watching and are two of the best Yankees of my generation. Cameron is another one of my favorites for a more personal reason that goes beyond being a great player.

In 2005, when I was becoming a serious baseball fan at age ten, I went to my first Subway Series game. I went early to the game because I wanted to try getting a few autographs from the players. I was there about an hour and a half before first pitch and no players signed autographs.

About a half hour before fist pitch I accidentally dropped my mitt onto the field. I asked a number of players, coaches and even security guards, yet nobody was willing to pick up my glove. All of a sudden, a Mets player I had never heard of before named Mike Cameron says to me, “Hey kid, you dropped your glove.” He then picked it up, and signed it. He proceeded to sign about a dozen autographs. I have been a huge Mike Cameron fan ever since.

For a player to go out of their way to greet fans and sign autographs is rare, now that players are making boatloads of money, but when a player does something nice for young fans, it is memorable for the rest of the fan’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment